A reader told me he was having problems with his 3DCLIP command after upgrading to AutoCAD 2013. He wrote:
“I create 3 or 4 different 3d models that I then xref them together into an arrangement drawing. I then create my viewports for the different views I will need. In the past, I would click into my viewport to get it into view model space and then I use 3dclip to adjust clipping planes to get the view looking the way I want it. I have found with Acad 2013 that I can’t do that anymore, when I get to 3dclip only my back clipping plane shows up, for some reason my front clip plane has disappeared – any idea why or how I might fix this?”
I told him I’d never heard ot this problem, so he wrote back.
“Hey Ellen, it’s the color of the clipping plane that is messing me up – with a black clipping plane and black background I can’t see it. If I change my background to white I can see the plane but my 50 yr old eyes can’t handle the white background. Any thoughts on how to change the color of a clipping plane?”
That rang a bell. Here’s what I told him to do:
- Start the OPTIONS command. You can right-click almost anywhere and choose Options.
- The Options dialog box opens. Click the Display tab.
- Click the Colors button to open the Drawing Window Colors dialog box. Here, you can alter the color of almost any interface item in the AutoCAD window — making AutoCAD the most customizable interface I know of. The most common item to change here is the drawing background, but you’ll find a lot more options here.
- In this case, I said to choose 3D Parallel Projection (and repeat with 3D Perspective Projection) in the Context list. Don’t forget to choose the appropriate item in the Context box before going on.
- Scroll down to the Camera Clipping Planes item. Or choose the item you want to change.
- Click the Color drop-down list and choose a color. You can choose a standard color or click Select Color to specify any color you want.
- Click Apply & Close.
- Click OK to return to your drawing.
Here was his response:
“Hey Ellen, looks like you nailed it. I also chose Restore Classic Colors and that fixed it up nice as well.”
What interface item colors do you change? How does the new color help you? Leave a comment!