Recently, a reader asked how to plot a drawing in black & white except for text. I had a few thoughts — plot styles and layer states, for example — but one idea was layer overrides.
Let’s say that you want to create some plot variations of your drawing. One way to do this is to change the properties of a layer in a viewport. In this way, you have one layout with a viewport showing layers with their given properties — color, linetype, etc. On another layout, you might change the layer properties for a very different result. You actually make these changes per viewport, but I’ll assume one viewport per layout in this tip.
For example, you could change a layer’s color from green to black on one of the layouts. This feature is called layer overrides.
Set a layer override
Here is how to set layer properties for a viewport:
- Display a layout and double-click inside the desired viewport to enter model space.
- Open the Layer Properties Manager. You now see 5 special columns — VP Color, VP Linetype, VP Lineweight, VP Transparency, and VP Plot Style .
- To override the properties of a layer for that viewport, click the layer’s item in the desired column, just as you normally do to change a layer’s property.
When the overridden viewport is current, the Layer Properties Manager displays a light blue rectangle for that override. The Layer drop-down list in the Layers panel on the Home tab also shows the light blue rectangle.
Remove a layer override
To remove an override, open the Layer Properties Manager and do one of the following:
- To remove one property override for a layer — let’s say Color — right-click the Color column for the layer with the override and choose Remove Viewport Overrides For > Color > In Current Viewport Only or In All Viewports.
- To remove all property overrides for a layer, right-click the layer and choose Remove Viewport Overrides For > Selected Layers > In Current Viewport Only or In All Viewports.
- To remove all property overrides, right-click any layer and choose Remove Viewport Overrides For > All Layers > In Current Viewport Only or In All Viewports.
How do you create plot variations? Do you use layer overrides? Leave a comment and share your expertise!