Highlighting a part of a grayscale image in color really makes it stand out!
Here are the steps:
- Find a photo that you want to use and insert it.
- Select the photo, then copy and paste it to duplicate it.
- Select the original photo and choose Format tab> Color and choose the first swatch (Saturation 0%) to make the photo grayscale.
- Now select the copy, and go to Format tab>Remove Background. I have a video tutorial here. Use the buttons to remove everything that you want to be grayscale. Keep everything that you want to remain in color. (Tip: Zoom in to more precisely choose what you want to keep and what you want to remove.)
- Move the copy exactly on top of the grayscale version.
- For ease of use, select both photos and group them (Ctrl + G).
Instead of making the original photo grayscale, you can apply other effects, such as blurring or other effects from the Artistic Effects drop-down list. Ric Bretschneider wrote a blog post a while back that uses a similar technique to create a blurred background.