Recently I received this question: How can I copy a slide in PowerPoint to Word?
The answer to the question depends on how you want it to look in Word.
If you want just the text
If you want just the text of a slide, you can just copy and paste from PowerPoint to Word.
Note: There are easier techniques for when you want to copy the text of an entire presentation. See “Export all presentation text.” Be sure to read the comments as they include additional techniques from my very bright readers!
If you want a picture of the slide
Sometimes you want to use the entire slide as an image inside a Word document. I do this when I repurpose a webinar as an e-book. To export a slide as a picture, follow these steps:
- Choose File> Save As and choose one of the image options on the Save as Type drop-down list in the Save As dialog box, such as PNG or JPG.
- Click Save.
- You’ll see a dialog box asking which slides you want to export — all the slides or just the current one. Choose the Just This One option to export just the current slide.
If you want a picture of some of the objects on the slide
You don’t have to turn the entire slide into a picture. Instead, follow these steps:
- Select just the objects that you want.
- Place the cursor over one of the selected objects (you’ll see a 4-headed arrow), right-click, and choose Save as Picture.
- In the dialog box, navigate to the desired location, give the image a name, and click Save.
I use this technique all the time. In fact, it’s how I created the image for this blog post — and how I create the images for most of my blog posts.
How do you transfer content from PowerPoint to Word or to any other application? Leave a comment or a question!
“101 Tips Every PowerPoint User Should Know” is for everyone who never took a course or read a book about PowerPoint! These tips will fill in the gaps, speed up your work, make presentations easier, and help you get better results. Now updated through PowerPoint 2016 and Office 365. Learn more at http://www.ellenfinkelstein.com/pptblog/101-tips/
Here are two quick and easy techniques that I use:
1. In Slide Show View do a Print Screen
2. Crop off the black bands
3. Paste into document
1. Choose desired image with Windows’ Snipping Tool
2. Paste it into document
Sometimes, I use the “snippet” tool wandering inside windows, to copy images…
Thank you so much for these easy to follow directions! This saved me a huge headache while writing a paper.