To create an natural-looking, cascading animation of objects appearing quickly one after another, animate several objects with the same entrance effect and adjust their entry time. Follow these steps:
- In PowerPoint 2010, click the Animations tab. In PowerPoint 2007, choose Animations tab> Custom Animation. In 2003, choose Slide Show> Custom Animation.
- Select all of the shapes.
- Choose Add Effect or Add Animation> Entrance, and choose the effect you want. Here, I use the Appear effect. PowerPoint will apply the On Click start to the first rectangle you drew and With Previous to all the rest.
- In PowerPoint 2010, click the Animation Pane button. Then in all versions, click any animation item’s down arrow in the Custom Animation task pane, and choose Show Advanced Timeline. (If you see Hide Advanced Timeline, the advanced timeline is already displayed.) You now see orange arrows or rectangles representing the time covered by each animation.
- Starting from the second rectangle, drag each arrow or rectangle a little further to the right, so that each animation starts slightly after the previous one.