PowerPoint Mix is a new PowerPoint add-on by Microsoft.
You use PowerPoint Mix for creating interactive online lessons. Teachers and trainers are widely using Mix. The basic process is simple:
- You create slides and can record audio and video.
- You can add quizzes.
- You upload the final result to the Mix website and share it with anyone you want, such as your students. You can even export Mix to a SCORM-compliant format.
- You get statistics about who watched the Mix as well as quiz scores.
How to get started
Start by watching the videos at at the Mix website. One is an introduction, the next is a series of tutorials. Then I suggest looking at the gallery, here. Avoid the long ones — just watch some short ones. Some are very professional, others not.
As you watch the videos, you’ll be prompted to download Mix, so go ahead. You’ll see instructions to install it and when you do, you’ll have a new Mix tab on your ribbon, like this.
PowerPoint re-opens (you have to close it to install Mix) and you’ll be in a special presentation that shows you some of Mix’s features, as you see here.
You can use an existing presentation or create a new one for your Mix lesson.
The two main additions you make to your presentation are:
- A recording, during which you can record both your voice and your webcam. Choose Slide Recording to start. You can see the recording screen below. As you record, click the Next Slide arrow to move to the next slide. Each slide’s recording is separate. Click the red Stop recording button on the right when you’re done. You can preview each slide and redo it if you want. Click Close when you’re done.
- Quizzes. Choose Quizzes/Video Apps and choose from 3 types of quizzes and a poll feature. The quiz interface is pretty self-explanatory and one of the video tutorials explains it.
When you’re done, click Upload to Mix and wait while the Mix is uploaded and formatted. You can also choose to output to a video (non-interactive, but viewable offline), export to SCORM, or export to an online video on Office 365.
When the process is completed, you see this screen. Click Show Me My Mix to go to the Mix website. Now you’ll be out of PowerPoint. You’ll see a Details screen where you can:
- Edit the name of your Mix
- Add a description
- Set a category and tags
- Set sharing levels
- Get the URL to give to people
- Choose to email, share, or embed the mix
Here’s what the screen looks like.
Make any changes you want and click the Save button. Click the play button on the right to play your Mix!
Below I’ve used the Embed code to embed my mix in this blog post. After watching the 2 slides that I recorded voice and webcam for, you’ll see the quiz slide. You might have to scroll down to see all of the answers. After choosing your answer, click the Submit button to see if you got the question right.
You can go to mix.office.com at any time and choose My Mixes. There you can choose one of your mixes and click Analytics to get information like how long a slide was watched and how people did on your quizzes.
What do you think? Will you try it out? Leave a comment!